Wednesday 28 September 2016

Trusting God: The Amazing Water Glass Trick!


I used this idea in an assembly yesterday, focussing on people we trust and what it means to trust God.   This would work really well if you are exploring miracle stories or stories about trust.  Suitable verses to use with it might be: 

Joshua 1:9: Remember, I commanded you to be strong and brave. Don’t be afraid, because the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

Psalm 56: 3 When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.

John 14: 1 Jesus said, “Don’t be troubled. Trust in God, and trust in me

 I have to admit that this trick is not an original idea.  I found the trick in this book: Simple Science Object Talks by Heno Head Jnr and would definitely recommend getting cold of a copy if you can!

You will need: A glass of water (about half- 2/3 filled) and an index card.

This is what you do: place the index card over the top of the glass, making sure that the whole of the rim is covered by it, and press down.



Hold onto the top of the card with one hand and move your other hand down the glass, towards the bottom of it. Carefully flip the glass upside down, making sure you keep holding the card in place.  You may get a TINY bit of drip page at this point, but don't panic!  Now slowly move your card holding hand out from underneath and the card should stick, holding the water at bay!


I love using science in assemblies because it is generally fool-proof, as long as you have a little practice first.

I got a teacher in the assembly to sit at the front and asked if they trusted me to turn the glass of water upside down on top of their head? Even if I covered it with the card?  They were not too eager!

I then performed the science and it went down very well!

We talked about the fact that what was holding the card in place was the air pressure pressing upwards (stronger than gravity pressing downwards).  Please forgive my scientific explanations- they are not my strong suit! We can't see the air pressure but we know it must be working or the water would drop out.  We can't see God but we know that he is there holding us up and supporting us too.  The teacher might not have wanted to trust me, but I knew what I was doing and God knows what He is doing!

Talk about: 
What is trust?
Who do you trust and why?
Have you ever trusted God?
When might you need to God?

Encourage children to all have a go at he trick, but make sure you have something ready to collect the drips just in case!





No comments:

Post a Comment