Thursday 25 January 2024

Simeon and Anna (or angel!) Luminaries


This Sunday we are celebrating Candlemas or the presentation of Jesus in the temple. The story of Simeon and Anna is one of my absolute favourites and I love how this simple craft gives the impression of a person holding the light that Jesus represents, just as Simeon takes Jesus in his arms in the story. 

You will need: A copy of the templates, glue, scissors, paper (if patterned make sure the pattern is on both sides).


Use the templates to cut out a person shape. Glue along edge B and create a circle with edge A. You can colour the shape in as desired or even write the words of the Nunc Dimitis on it:

“Now, Lord, you can let me, your servant, die in peace as you said.
30 I have seen with my own eyes how you will save your people.
31     Now all people can see your plan.
32 He is a light to show your way to the other nations.
    And he will bring honor to your people Israel.” (Luke 2: 29-32).

You can also use the wings template to make an angel! 

If you want to be intricate, here's one I made with individually cut feathers for the wings :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment