You will need: Loom bands (at least 50 per star), 5 lolly sticks.
Make 5 lolly sticks into a star shape and secure each point ot the star with a loom band (see picture). Now make chains of 10-12 loom bands each and use the first and last band of each chain to join it to one of the sticks. Now you have a colourful star decoration!
Making loom band chains is likely to take quite a while, so it's a great opportunity to talk to the children about the long journey of the wise men to find Jesus. Here are some ideas for talking and praying..
- Why was the journey so important to the wise men?
- Have you ever been on a long journey? What was it like?
- What do you use to show you the way? Who helps you to know where you are going?
- How does it feel when you reach what you have been waiting for?
- Would you like to have been one of the wise men? Why?
- What does hope mean?
- God gave the wise men a star to follow on their journey. They didn't have to do things completely by themselves, God was always showing them the way. Thank God for all the things and people who give us directions and help. Ask the children to think of a situation in their lives where they would like God to help them and show them the way. Hang your stars as a decoration and pray that God will guide them.